Friday, December 12, 2008

My "ism"

So about time to tackle what my "ism" would look like. I purposefully waited until after my paper as I was still searching for what it would look like. I think my "ism" [represented by the bold lettering] would look like the following:

Description:
  • If you asked me at the beginning of my masters I would have said a 75% realism and 25% neo-thomism. However as this course has progressed my "ism" has shifted to pragmatism. Why? Through my own experiences through Action Research and what I have learned about myself due to this course I have greatly seen a change in me as I need to learn through experiential learning. This has revolutionized the way I thought about myself and how I learned, and I seek to capture that energy within the classroom by allowing students to experience. I realize that I need to develop yet. So as of right now here is what my "ism" would l be described as:
  • 50% Pragmatism/25% Realism/25% Neo-Thomism
Key Theorists:
  • Dewey has been the most influential on me as this course grows, but I cannot simply deny my past influence of Plato and Socrates.
Epistemology:
  • As I described above the empirical method has been growing within myself and the classroom. However being in the social sciences it is hard not to occassionally fall back into the transmission mode. There are just sometimes where you have to talk and desiminate information.
Ontology:
  • Self. Perhaps above all I think self exploration is key for anyone, myself included, to truly learn. In many of my classes, especially Psych 20, I state that if you take anything from this class take what you have learned about yourself. To me that is a mark of a great educator.
Role of Teacher:
  • The main belief of my "ism" is the teacher as a facilitator. To assist the students in their own learning by helping them, by guiding, learn the best way that they can for themselves. However, occassionally authoritative and interpreter come into play. I would endeavour to say percent wise it would fall like this: 50% facilitator, 25% authoritative and 25% interpreter.
Role of Student:
  • I see the most growth of my own teaching style here as my views on students change. I currently would see students as investigator and colleague. By becoming a learner with them and listening to their needs and interests I have moved away as seeing them as empty vessels. I see them as partners in education with both of us learning from one another and together.
Situatedness of the Curriculum:
  • With my views on students changing my focus here has shifted from knowledge based to one that embraces observation and milieu. With different students and learning styles I have been adapting much more in the last year than ever before.
Visual Metaphor:
  • Jedi Acadmey/Force. I know that this is somewhat recycled from a previous assignment but I think the basic tenets still hold. Padawans/Jedi learn through both transmission of info but also learn by doing. The skills learned vary with the situation as the milieu and their observations change. They investigate the world around them as well as the world within themselves. Jedi Masters guide them [padawans] in their learning, morfe often through experiences.



No comments: