Thursday, December 11, 2008

Been a while...

So I took a break from my blog to focus on my paper and I think it was a good break for me as I think I am ready to try to tackle a couple of questions that Steve asked at the beginning of the semester.

The first one I want to try and tackle is what knowledge is worth knowing. Since the beginning of this course I have been more aware of the decisions I make within the classroom. Most importantly though I have been wondering for whom am I making these decisions. Is it for my best interest, in order to plan, or for the students?

This weekend's presentations caused me to reflect on what is it that is worth knowing. I have to agree with Meagan that I think the most basic skills, that are definitely worth knowing are the three "R"s. Reading, writing and arithmetic. These skills transend most courses and definitely impact upon a student's success in these courses. But what else? Is the knowledge from my History 30 class worth knowing? Law 30? Econ 30? Will the students even remember the specifics that I "taught" them.

The answer is most obviously no (at least for many of them). I am sure that some students will hang onto some of the information for whatever reason. Fun moment, links to them, etc. When I look at the various courses I teach there is a recurring thread that is present in them all. Perhaps this is what I value as the knowledge most worth knowing.

What is it you may ask? Critical thinking and exercising their own opinions. This is something that in all classes I take the time to develop in them. I make it clear at the start of the term that I want to hear about their values and beliefs. Often times they have their opinions but they do not clearly explain them. This is something that has always bothered me. But am I making a judgement? Is this something that they need to know? I think the answer is yes! Basic communication skills are a must: literacy and writing. I believe that this is just an obvious extension of that subject material.

Throughout the term we work on being able to clearly state their opinions and then have the ability to back them up. We work with dialectical essays that exercise their critical thinking skills to see others opinions. This is an ongoing process that takes time and if in all the courses in which I teach this is the only skill/knowledge they came out with I think I have succeeded in helping them.

So what knowledge do I think is worth knowing? In my beliefs it is helping the students find their voice. A voice that can clearly explain their beliefs and values, while backing those beliefs up.

No comments: