Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Trying to find something else...

I found this video on YouTube while searching for something else. I think this individual makes some valid points regarding teaching/learning within the "product" model. He does compare students to "little robots" that work on the assembly line, working for society and the economy. Are we simply creating students that repeat what we want them to think? I can recall many "high end" students at Carpenter picking my brain on how I wanted to see an assignment done. I know and understand that they are just trying to improve their grades, but are they not just leaning on me as a crutch? Am I helping them to succeed? I think in a world that trains students to be little automatons yes. But I want more. I want to challenge them to think outside of the box. To get them to think for themselves, not simply for someone else. Is that wrong? Does this individual hit the button for so many students and how they feel that schools are restricting them?

No comments: